President Uhuru Kenyatta has given an indication that Kazi Mtaani programme, which was to end on March 4 may not be shelved.
The President said he had been approached by youth from Kiambu and Nairobi with a proposal for extension.
“When I was in Uthiru and Kiamaiko, and here, the youth have said they want Kazi Mtaani back, do you agree with them? Let’s see what we will do to have the programme back,” said Uhuru while commissioning Soweto Hospital on Friday.
Kazi Mtaani, an informal youth employment programme by the national government was launched under the State Department of Housing and Urban Development last year. It was meant to provide social protection for youthful casual labourers impacted by COVID-19.
Under the program, beneficiaries are entitled to a weekly stipend of Ksh1,000 sent through mobile money.
President Kenyatta has asked Kenyans to support the BBI Bill, saying it will ensure that more money is allocated to counties.