AUDIO ASSISTED READING
The Kenyan medical fraternity is mourning yet another medical doctor who succumbed to COVID-19 on Friday night.
The Kenyatta National Hospital Head of Renal Unit and kidney specialist Dr. Anthony Were Omollo died after spending 10 days in ICU at a hospital in Nairobi.
This brings the total number of doctors who have succumbed to the deadly virus in Kenya to 11.
The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Union (KMPDU) has euologised Dr. Were as a teacher and mentor to many.
“KMPDU mourns the loss of eminent nephrologist Prof A J O Were who has succumbed to COVID19 complications. He was the president of the African Association of Nephrology & Deputy Director of the East African Kidney Institute. A teacher & mentor to many,he leaves a great legacy,” said KMPDU.
KMPDU Secretary General Chibanzi Mwachonda recounts how Dr. Were asked his colleagues 14 days ago to pray for him, this was when he was being re-admitted to ICU due to COVID-19 complications.
Mwachonda describes Dr. Were as “a teacher, mentor and leader in nephrology.”
Were was the president of the African Association of Nephrology and Deputy Director of the East African Kidney Institute.
Ministry of Health records show that 2,352 health workers have contracted COVID-19 in the country so far, with now 11 of them paying the ultimate price.
Doctors’ strike notice
On Monday, November 16, KMPDU issued a 21-day strike notice that expires on December 6 2020.
Among the grievances the KMPDU are demanding include;
- Provision of Comprehensive Medical Cover as provided by NHIF to all doctors working in Kenya.
- Payment of call allowances to all doctors working under the Ministry of Health.
- Employment of at least 2,000 doctors (Medixal officers,Pharmacists and Dentists) on permanent and pensionable terms.
- Payment of all applicable allowances to doctors working under the University Health Services Units and Academic Staff .
- Enhancement of risk allowance.
- Provision of adequate and standard PPEs in all healthcare facilities in Kenya.
- Immediate reinstatement of doctors who had been illegally sacked in Kirinyaga and Laikipia Counties.
- A constitutional Health Service Commission.
- A dedicated health facility in each county for treatment of doctors.