Office Address

Ojijo Close, off Ojijo road next to Parklands Police Station

Phone Number

+254 740 047 047

Email Address

hello@tv47.co.ke

WHO chief Tedros in quarantine over COVID-19 fears

Share
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has gone into quarantine after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

The former Ethiopian foreign minister announced on Sunday, November 1 that he had been identified as a contact person after someone he ahd come into contact with tested positive for Coronavirus.

Ghebreyesus, however, said that he is well and has not exhibited any COVID-19 symptoms, and will self-quarantine for 14 days in line with WHO’s protocols.

“It is critically important that we all comply with health guidance. This is how we will break chains of COVID-19 transmission, suppress the virus, and protect health systems,” said Ghebreyesus.

He further said that WHO officials will continue to engage with partners in solidarity to save lives and protect the vulnerable during this COVID-19 pandemic period.

So far, about 46.5 million people have contracted the virus in the world, 31.1 million people have recovered from COVID-19, while at least 1.2 million people have lost their lives due to COVID-19.

ALSO:  This show is a joke: Plastic water bottle mistake angers Game of Thrones fans

The United State is leading in the number of confirmed cases at 9.28 million, India comes second with 8.23 million c0nfirmed cases while Brazil comes third with 5.55 million confirmed cases. Russia and France complete the top five most hit nations in the world, with 1.66 million and 1.41 million confirmed COVID-19 cases.

Criticism from the US

The United Nations agency came under sharp criticism in May, 2020 after US President Donald Trump and several officials from his administration blamed the agency for mismanaging COVID-19 pandemic.

Trump claims WHO failed to swiftly make “greatly needed reforms” when the virus emerged in China in December 2019, including sharing important information about Coronavirus in a timely and transparent manner.

Trump has since started the process of pulling the US out of the WHO, insisting that funds will now be redirected towards other courses involving health matters.

Related Posts

Bulk SMS Kenya Breaking News